This recipe is a playful twist on the classic oysters Rockafeller. Like it’s non-vegan counterpart, this is a showstopping dish. So if you want to impress your guests with your Iron Chef-like skills, this would be great as an appetizer.
For the Mock Oysters:
See Pan Fried Oysters recipe. Do not prepare the sauce; just the mock oysters.
For the spinach filling:
3/4 cup spinach
1 small white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp vegan butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ounce of vegan pernod or sambuca
Pinch of cloves
Punch of cayenne
For the breadcrumbs:
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 clove of garlic, minced
12 Won ton spoons
To Prepare The Mock Oysters:
See Pan Fried Mock Oysters Recipe. Prepare mock oysters, but not the sauce.
To Prepare the Breadcrumbs:
1) Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, being careful not to brown the garlic.
2) Add the breadcrumbs and toss with a wooden spoon.
To Prepare the Spinach Filling:
1) Heat a frying pan to medium heat. Add the vegan butter and onions. Sweat the onions for 4 or 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
2) Add the spinach, cloves, cayenne and garlic. Cook til the garlic is fragrant, being careful not to brown the garlic.
3) Add the vegan pernod.
4) Add half the breadcrumbs to the spinach mixture. Mix well.
To assemble the oysters mockafeller:
1) Place each pan fried oyster in a won ton spoon.
2) Top each mock oyster with the spinach filling.
3) Top with the garlic breadcrumbs
4) Broil in the oven for 2 or 3 minutes, til the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
5) Serve oysters mockafeller on a bed of rock salt and garnish with fresh lemon. Enjoy!